Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???

From: Harry F Doherty
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:59:36 +0000

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 05:15:35AM -0500, Chuck Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:10:46AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
[...]
> > another vital use for Lynx, which i didn't mention before,
> > is to view HTML attachments in e-mails with Mutt.
>
> I do this, too, and Lynx has the added benefit over most other browsers
> and mail programs that handle HTML internally that web bugs don't work.

Oo, how do you do that?
I've been trying to set up "vi-keys with lynx" style navigation any
pointers please?

> > > javascript is annoying
> > > and I'm seriously considering starting to complain about those that use
> > > it.
> >
> > good luck: i don't have such time to spare.
>
> If I do it, I'll write a form letter that I can then customize for each
> individual case, which will reduce the amount of time required.

If you do this you could try citing relevant legislation eg for the uk:
http://www.disability.gov.uk/dda/
Although most UK goverment sites only accept feedback via forms that
don't work without Javascript!

> > i really don't follow you here: how can you use Screen to sub for tabs ?
>
> Put something like this in your lynx.cfg:
>
> EXTERNAL:http:screen lynx %s:TRUE
>
> Then when you want to follow a link in another "tab", just press ".",
> and the page will be loaded in a separate window.  Changing tabs is
> as simple as pressing ^A followed by a single digit

I do something similar.
Is it possible to to bind a key in screen to cycle through just the lynx
instances?
eg
binding a key to exec a script that calls
"screen -X select $NEXT_LYNX_INSTANCE" ?
It's passing around and updating the list of windows with Lynx I'm stuck
on.
I've considered screen escape sequences or environment variables,
or parsing a tempfile.

And more ambitiously would it be possible to have a script update a
jumps file of lynxexec links to "screen -X " commands emulating a
"goto tab" page?

Also while I'm here - some wishlist items :) -

- Can you get a persisent history some how?
I've tried using the syslog feature, and specifying a place to save
lynx's tempfiles and getting a script to process that.
Neither were satisfactory.

- the ability to pipe a page through a filter and have the result
  returned to the same lynx instance.
Not only would this allow for some interesting tweeks/mungings
(eg removing unwanted content in know format pages, table layout etc)
but it could also provide for a more general script hook.

I've tried workarounds using EXTERN to invoke wgetting scripts etc
but this would be more elegant.

cheers
H.