Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:30:57 -0700

At 12:14a +0200 07/28/2006, Stegozor didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

On 7/26/06, Stef Caunter <address@hidden> wrote:
But lynx.isc.org is current and quite acceptable. There is plenty of evidence
of active development and code maintenance in both the readable text and
breakout subdirectory date stamps.

Indeed, and that's how I ended up in this mailing list and why I'm
boring you right now :) . But honestly, I had to search for quite a
while. I'm rather used to mozilla website, with all its updates and so
on, so without clear information, it wasn't easy.

There are no links for Mac OS X either.

I found <http://www.darwinports.org/darwinports/dports/www/lynx/Portfile> just by knowing that darwinports.org existed, but I have no clue how to make use of that file, or if I even need to. I mean, if I installed darwinports would it automatically know how to retrieve and use that file? There's also Fink, and binaries by Chris Roberts and other people for various versions of Lynx (some of which support SSL and some of which do not), and the program gets installed in different areas depending on which installer was used, and so I don't even know how to upgrade to a newer version.

"OpenMacNews" was on this list a year ago asking questions and getting it to work on Tiger, but I still don't know how to get a current version of (an SSL-enabled) Lynx to run on Tiger and properly upgraded from the Jaguar binary so I'm not left with orphan files and have my bookmarks and config preserved.

So many unanswered questions.