Re: [Lynx-dev] "can't access startfile"

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] "can't access startfile"
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:21:17 +0000

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 10:05:24PM -0800, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> Could you clarify what you mean here? There is no "BACK" key in lynx.
> Are you talking about one of the keys bound to "LYK_PREV_DOC", or
> something else? I don't think that lynx will quit if you do LYK_PREV_DOC
> and the document doesn't exist unless you get some type of fatal memory
> problem. What you are describing here is very different from the
> expected failure on starting lynx with no valid address. I haven't seen
> this in my own use of lynx. Can you give a reproducible example where
> this happens? Have you seen this on only one platform or is this problem
> platform independent?

No really, it does seem to do that.  [Using the default lynx on my FC2
system, which is lynx-2.8.5-15]

echo hello > /tmp/hello.txt
echo world > /tmp/world.txt

lynx /tmp/hello.txt
press g and type /tmp/world.txt

So now we have a lynx with a navigation history of two pages.

In another window, rm /tmp/ hello.txt /tmp/world.txt
In Lynx, press ^R.  It doesn't quit (yet), but says that the document is
unavailable and tracks back to the first document.  Now press ^R again.
Lynx quits with "Can't access startfile".

I'm assuming the same would happen if instead of pressing ^R you visited
several other pages (sufficient to fill Lynx's cache and un-cache the
original two documents) and then pressed the LYK_PREV_DOC key to return
to the original document.

imc