Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: Kristopher Kycia
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:40:07 -0500

Hi all,

Could it be something to do with MISSING FILES with the distribution?  For example a DIRECTORY with a list of codepage/mapping tables to translate between the various locales?  I have seen this with Internationalization (i18n) that there are "add on files" which are used to translate the application into the various languages.  I know this would apply to the language of the Lynx browser ITSELF...  I'm just wondering if because it DEFAULTS to US-ASCII means that it is unable to pickup additional selections because something is missing (with the DISTRO).

This MIGHT sound like a compilation issue (a compilation switch NOT ENABLED)...  However I find it rather unlikely that BY DEFAULT someone would put out a version of Lynx which ONLY works for the English language.  I mean with the codepage being in the HTML source and all, it makes it kinda unlikely that ANY compiled version would support anything less than the codepages available on the web.  This would imply that the switch would build Lynx in a version that does not support any of the locales in the configuration file (again something that seems illogical).  Basically a browser that JUST IGNORES the CODEPAGE.

Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

Kristopher R. Kycia