Re: [Monotone-devel] Debian package enhancements

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Debian package enhancements
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:55:59 -0400

Tomas Fasth wrote:

Matthew A. Nicholson skrev:

Tomas Fasth wrote:

Matthew, all,

I have a few comments to your suggested patch.

The debian files have changed in repository since the release of
monotone 0.19. You may want to update your patch to reflect those
changes.

How can we get together on this debian package?

Ah, yes. I'm sorry for lack of response, but I have been busy
elsewere. I suggest we leave the current binary package alone and
instead create a complementary second binary package, named
"monotone-server" or similar, containing the scripts and
configuration needed to run monotone as a network service in the
background. I would like to use runit to supervise it, and the
monotone-server package will therefore depend on the runit package.

Does it sound sane? If it does, we can move forward right away.

Hmmm... monotone-server package... Depends on the client, and install the stuff for the server. That sounds ok, although it could just as well go in the same package. But I guess that could work.

In what state is your patch currently? How much of it do you think
is compatible or useful in a runit scenario?

I don't know anything about runit so I can't comment on that. As for the status of my patch, basically it is an init script, and an /etc/default/monotone file. We need to add default hooks.lua file, and some postinstall magic to create a database.

What would be very useful is a --log option for monotone to specify a file to place output in rather than the console. That way using my current scripts you could get log output and start-stop-daemon would let you know if monotone crashed on startup.

But that is where I am now. Also my primary computer (laptop) was stolen, but I can use my work machine until I build myself another.