Re: [Monotone-devel] performance issues for pull/sync/...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] performance issues for pull/sync/...
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:53:09 -0700

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 07:39:24AM +0200, Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> Of our 4 'aspects' we have 3 online now. The 1 which is left is our
> 'core' repository with over 3 years of history. The initial pull on
> that repository takes slightly less than 10 hours (!) duriing which
> roughly 50Mb is transferred. We will have to revert to an alternate
> way to get this repository in the developers hands (gzipped dump
> probably).
>
> Subsequent pulls are in the same order of magnituded as the modules
> repositry (20-30 secs). Local operations on this repository are
> reasonable.
>
> It all comes down to the initial pull time.

Ah, right.  We're very well aware of the problems with initial pull
time; work on improving it is ongoing.  Sorry about that, and glad to
hear you have a workaround while we continue figuring out how to make
these things more efficient...

(Sqlite databases are portable, though, or so I'm told; you should be
able to distribute a compressed database directly, instead of a
compressed database dump.)

I wanted to make sure that your other, day-to-day slowdowns seemed to
be fixed, though.

Good luck,

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein