[Monotone-devel] Re: The new macro M is no good...

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: The new macro M is no good...
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:33:49 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

> Personally, I find it pretty damn lame to use a public symbol like M
> in a public (i.e. library) header file.  There's just too much
> chance someone else will us such a symbol...  But I guess the C++
> community likes to forget there a preprocessor (which I can
> understand, but denial hasn't ever done anything good).

But note that Boost's usage is contained in the function being
defined. It's the macro M that's interfering with Boost.

Funny, just last night I read Item 0 in /C++ Coding Standards/ by
Sutter and Alexandrescu¹:

  [A]lways use ONLY_UPPERCASE_NAMES for macros and never think about
  writing a macro that is a common word or abbreviation (including
  common template parameters, such as T and U; writing #define T
  /anything/ is extremely disruptive).

Footnotes:
¹ http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0321113586,00.html

--