Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: One person in many places

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: One person in many places
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:13:29 -0700

On 7/25/05, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Nonsense.  All you need to require is that each *private* key has a
> unique keyid.  And honestly, who would want to have two private keys
> with the same keyid in the same database?

I've run into a problem involving exactly this. Before I really
understood monotone's concept of databases and keys, I created two
projects each with their own db and each with their own private key,
although both keys have the same keyid. I'd now like to serve both
projects out of the same database, but I can't push changes from one
to the other because...
monotone: warning: saving public key for address@hidden to database
monotone: error: another key with name 'address@hidden' already exists

Any suggestion on how to remedy this? Can I rename the keyid in one of
the databases after the fact?

> Also, there was talk about a future where private keys wouldn't be
> stored in the database at all, which makes absolute sense, and makes
> the UI perspective even less of an issue, or so I imagine.

I missed this discussion. Would the private key be stored in
~/.monotone instead?

Cheers,
Shaun