[Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Todd A. Jacobs
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:07:37 -0700

I was looking through the montone texinfo pages, as well as scanning back through the list archives, and didn't really see this issue addressed.

Does monotone support any kind of keyword subsitution at all at this stage? In particular, having $Date and $Author keywords would be very useful when publishing files outside of a monotone repository.

I would imagine that version keywords are a bit trickier, but I have some thoughts on the subject that I'd like to submit for your consideration. The two main points of a human-readable version string are:

1. To make it easy for someone without access to the repository to determine if file X is older or newer than file Y. 2. To allow the author to determine what revision within the repository someone is referring to when they report a bug or submit a patch. It would seem to me that keyid+timestamp or repository+timestamp would serve the first purpose quite well. For example, consider:

   $Id: foo.c address@hidden 1122446580

where the number is just seconds since epoch. This would clearly indicate that the file is newer than:

   $Id: foo.c address@hidden 1122118546

and is different than:

   $Id: foo.c address@hidden 1122446580

despite identical timestamps.

For the second case, being able to identify that an exported file belongs to a particular repository, and what its internal version number within that particular repository is:

   $Revision: com.example.stable c0e645e63b6308b83d94b732888c2a1c39ad8b79

would probably be quite helpful.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g