Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:04:39 +0200

* Richard Levitte:

> In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:07:37 -0700, "Todd A.
> Jacobs" <address@hidden> said:
>
> nospam> Does monotone support any kind of keyword subsitution at all
> nospam> at this stage?
>
> No, and quite honestly, I hope it won't.  I find it to be a hassle
> more than a blessing, especially when merging (which is already
> painful enough as it is in CVS).

The Subversion approach to this problem looks pretty sane to me.  All
keywords have to be explicitly enabled, by setting a special file
property.  Wouldn't this be a reasonable compromise for Subversion as
well?

The merge problems can be resolved by storing a canonical string in
the repository (e.g. $Rev: $, without a hash).