Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:11:14 -0800

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:31:15PM -0800, Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If you do go the external program direction, it might be worthwhile
> > to see if it can be made somewhat general; most of the code involved
> > in importing from BK is probably the same as the code involved in
> > importing from any other DAG-history, repo-as-branch VCS (and there
> > are a number of these, now).
>
> I know tailor has been mentioned before I this thread but I thought
> I'd mention that I know some work has been done getting it to work
> with monotone. If it's not in the offical release try asking in the
> OpenEmbedded IRC channel or on its mailing list.

As I understand, tailor does work with monotone as both a source and a
target; but tailor can only handle linear histories.  Even if
transferring from one DAG VCS to another, it has to throw away
everything except a single linear subgraph.

This could presumably be fixed.  I don't know if that would be more or
less work than starting from scratch.  (Presumably even if starting
from scratch, one could steal their VCS backend codes where useful.)

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould