Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:15:35 +0100

Daniel Carosone wrote:
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:21:27PM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
The other way is to hack SP and make it call regular monotone commands.
In this latter case, of course it'd be nice if the tool worked with
standard monotone releases, not some specially patched ones. So I'm
just looking for a way to do this.

Ahah, now here's a very straightforward and concrete requirement that
will help guide the interface design for the feature we already knew
we'd probably want for something.  Programs like tailor are likely to
want very similar features.

For now, i'd suggest you use the hooks-style approach to supply the
merge with the correct file content from the equivalent BK rev.

A similar requirement arises when implementing the merge interface for an Eclipse plugin. The workflow would be something like:

1. "Synchronize" with DB
2. Eclipse shows which files have incoming updates, which have outgoing and which have both.
2a. See below
3. Click "Update" (NB: You can do this for a subset of files rather than the whole working copy - but I guess that's another problem) 4. Eclipse merges those files without conflicts, pops up a message about other files. 5. For each other file, in any order the user feels like, the user gets a nice merging interface which he/she uses to do the merge, marking the file as merged afterwards.

2a. You can do step 5 here for any files you feel like, too.

At any stage, the user can stop and go do something else - including playing with the working copy. The user can choose to merge everything manually if so desired. The user can merge just one file, then go and play with the working copy.

I've had some thoughts about how to square all this with monotone's way of working, but this mail is really just food for thought if someone's planning on changes to monotone's merging interface.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.