Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:36:10 -0800

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:32:15PM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> but propagate from devel to mainline still suffers from lack of
> merge-via-working-dir as you say.
>
> It was really a shock to me when after so much excitement about the
> design of monotone I found that once I had a merge conflict I CAN NOT
> hit exit and fix everything in the tree myself (ensuring that it
> compiles and works as follows before doing a real commit).

Yeah, we're historically sort of better at hard stuff than easy
polish-type stuff :-).  We're trying to fix that though...

I've updated
   http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/MergeViaWorkingDir
to include a step-by-step plan to get this functionality written.  I
guess we probably could have done half of it while this thread was
going on, ah well... ;-).

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender