Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:03:07 +1000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 10:40:22PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> Graydon Hoare wrote:
> > I have a minor nit with the name: I think I really prefer the word
> > "apply" for this operation. Does anyone else have a preference?
>
> I think I prefer the dry, stodgy "apply" as well.

I can see the criticism.. though it bothers me less as I get
used to it.

Apply, though dry and stodgy and conservative, is I agree perhaps also
confusing or overly generic.  Another reason I like "pluck" is that it
leaves open the possibility of a reciprocal "plonk" command that does
something more like what koen thought "apply" might do.  Not that I
think such a command would be as useful as pluck or that we should
have one.

My only other criticism of pluck is that it may have connotations of
*removing* something (as in feathers), and that someone might think it
would do something like 'db kill_rev_locally'.  This is pretty minor
and unlikely.

Other potential suggestions:

applydiff - more specific, more symmetrical with diff, and you can
            just shorten it to apply anyway if you want.

rollup - a name that occurred to me, reinforcing how I recommend
         *using* this feature at the bottom of wiki/DaggyFixes

cherrypick - just because, but i prefer pluck to this.

port - or backport, crossport or similar.. but now i'm really plucking
       at straws..

For whatever little it's worth, I vote for pluck at least until a
clearly better suggestion comes along.

--
Dan.