Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:14:09 -0700

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 12:49:25PM -0700, Justin Patrin wrote:
> Wow, cool! I'd like to think that my screwing around with mtnpatch
> pushed this up to the top of the list but perhaps I'm giving myself
> too much credit. ;-)

Well, while I don't really mean to _encourage_ nagging, the OE folks
who asked about this every week for 2 months did give me some
impression of how urgently desired the feature was :-).

> A few questions:
> 1) Does this work cross-branch as well? I would assume it does since
> branches are just a special kind of cert, but I'd like to be sure.

Yes, it does.

> 2) Does this apply renames, deletes, and adds to the workspace as well
> or will the "add", "delete", and "rename" commands have to be run
> manually?

No, they're taken care of for you.

> A request:
> I was planning on making a wrapper script to my mtnpatch which did
> exactly what this does (pull changes from a rev and apply them with
> mtnpatch), but I will obviously not need that now. One thing I meant
> to add to it was automatic population of the rev #('s) to the commit
> message in _MTN/ and/or a special cert with rev ids so as to have some
> record of what was cherry-picked. Could one or both of these be added
> to "pluck"?

The former is already added -- it adds a line to _MTN/log, which comes
up as the default commit message when you hit "commit".

The latter would be nice, but requires a bit more infrastructure --
need some way to record certs in the workspace to be added at commit
time, ways to let people look at those certs, modify them,
documentation for above, etc.  All pretty straightforward, just
someone would need to sit down and work on it for a few hours.

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho

This email may be read aloud.