Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: new feature: 'mtn pluck'
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:49:25 -0700

On 7/6/06, Koen Kooi <address@hidden> wrote:

Graydon Hoare schreef:
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> I just landed on mainline my branch to add a 'mtn pluck' command; it
>> lets you pluck some changes from an arbitrary place in history, and
>> drop them into your workspace.  I.e., basic cherrypicking support --
>> none of the fancy tracking stuff that a true cherrypicker, like darcs,
>> has, but some people might find it useful.

Wow, cool! I'd like to think that my screwing around with mtnpatch
pushed this up to the top of the list but perhaps I'm giving myself
too much credit. ;-)

A few questions:
1) Does this work cross-branch as well? I would assume it does since
branches are just a special kind of cert, but I'd like to be sure.
2) Does this apply renames, deletes, and adds to the workspace as well
or will the "add", "delete", and "rename" commands have to be run
manually?

A request:
I was planning on making a wrapper script to my mtnpatch which did
exactly what this does (pull changes from a rev and apply them with
mtnpatch), but I will obviously not need that now. One thing I meant
to add to it was automatic population of the rev #('s) to the commit
message in _MTN/ and/or a special cert with rev ids so as to have some
record of what was cherry-picked. Could one or both of these be added
to "pluck"?

> That is completely awesome. Thanks! The FAQ entry about cherrypicking
> will soon be no more.
>
> I have a minor nit with the name: I think I really prefer the word
> "apply" for this operation. Does anyone else have a preference?

It only applies stuff to the workspace and I personally think 'monotone
apply' would work on the .db, but that could be just me :)

"pluck" makes sense to me, it plucks a change out and applies to to
the workspace. I agree with Koen that "apply" seems more like a
committing (db changing) operation.

--
Justin Patrin