Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Testsuite status (SoC)

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Testsuite status (SoC)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:09:19 -0500

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 17:27 -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> So far I have sanity dependencies reduced to ui, quick_alloc, platform,
> simplestring_xform, constants, and numeric_vocab. constants is only used
> for default_encoding by split_into_lines, and for log_line_sz in
> sanity.cc.

sanity no longer depends on ui. Instead it has virtual functions for
different kinds of output, and there's a monotone_sanity (what
global_sanity actually is now) that defines these to talk to ui.
(there's also a tester_sanity in tester.cc that does other things with
them.)

> The lua extensions still depend on paths, transforms, and vocab.

I've given the lua extension functions (monotone_*_for_lua) a LUAEXT()
macro, which does more-or-less the same thing as CMD() and AUTOMATE()
do. They can be split up into different files now, and the specific
extensions that need these dependecies (guess_binary, parse_basic_io)
probably don't need to go into a split out tester.

>       * display_width moves from charset to ui, and now takes a string.
> Almost every place it was used, it was called as
> display_width(utf8(whatever)). I'm considering instead to make sanity
> not depend on ui, in which case this can be put back. (this particular
> change may be slightly questionable)
>       * ui.redirect_log_to now takes a string instead of a system_path. This
> can also be put back if I make sanity not depend on ui.

I've undone these.

~~~~~~~

Some lua extension functions in tester that might be interesting to have
in monotone are:
   set_redirect / clear_redirect
      For use around a spawn(), to redirect the spawned process' I/O
      to files. Could be nice if you want to capture or hide output.
   save_env / restore_env / set_env
      Set environment variables. Again, might be useful around spawn().
   get_ostype
      Returns what get_system_flavor() gives.

~~~~~~~

Next week: look at tester.lua for things that might be interesting to
put in monotone, and probably finish making a version of tester
available in it's own branch.

~~~~~~~

http://prjek.net/~tbrownaw/monotone-dependencies.png has a 107KB graph
of the dependencies in the monotone source tree (in the tester-spinoff
branch).

--
Free public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net