Re: [Monotone-devel] automate inventory (mtn-0.28) shows added files as

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate inventory (mtn-0.28) shows added files as unpatched
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:37:14 -0600

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> compatibility -- that we happened to tweak the changeset format is
> fine, but I'm sure the connection between that and the inventory
> output format is not obvious to people implementing 3rd-party tools,
> and this is something that would be have pretty trivial to keep the
> same...

Yes it would have, sorry, my bad.

> That said, we did break 'automate inventory' in 3 released versions
> now, so meld should probably learn to handle both whether we put the

To be honest, automate inventory has had a rather troubled history and
has been a not-so-pleasant experience. It probably never should have
been done on mainline given the various format changes and the fact that
it's still not really right. Hopefully the changes on the
nvm.basic_io.inventory branch are headed in a better direction but
there's not a lot of consensus there yet so I don't expect to see it
land anytime soon.

> P's back or not, and technically we bumped the 'automate' major number
> so we were allowed to do this... but I don't want to see us start
> shrugging off reports of real broken software, caused by us silently
> changing formats that we documented and guaranteed, as "just a

Fair enough. Changing the code to match the docs for now does seem like
it should be easy enough. Shall we do that instead?

> documentation bug".  Why didn't the test suite catch this change?  Or
> if it did, why wasn't the documentation updated and the change
> flagged in, at the least, the release notes?

Revision: efe5767b8eebbc5440f543a08b8a3521e760a02a
Ancestor: 73377452530003412ec2103737858ce73893d4e6