[Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:38:55 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:40:17 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> Richard, I'd appreciate any feedback or tips you have before
njs> going forward on this -- you know the OpenSSL folks and I don't,
njs> and I don't want to step on any toes or accidentally run into
njs> some history I don't know about :-).

Simply ask if we can grant you permission to use specific files from
OpenSSL under a different license.  There might be some harsh feelings
about the GPL, but if you ask for a relaxed variant of the OpenSSL
license, such as BSD3p or BSD2p :-), I don't see a reason not to.
I'll certainly vote FOR for such a move, and I don't think it would
come as a surprise, as I've talked about monotone with the rest of the
guys already.  In reality, it's up to the authors, not the entire
OpenSSL group.

Hmm, maybe I could even drive the question myself.

You know, there's another way as well, and it's to have a note in the
monotone code that gives permission to link the code with OpenSSL.  I
think it's been described more than once how to do this.

njs> (Also, do you by chance understand the tangle of code that calls
njs> into the asm cores?  I'm sure we could work it out, but it sure
njs> isn't as easy to read as the clean self-contained stuff like the
njs> git asm kernels, e.g:
njs>   http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=git/git.git;a=tree;f=arm
njs> )

I think I can understand it if I put my head to it.  At this point,
though, Andy is out assembly master :-)

Cheers,
Richard

-----