Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:32:36 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:56:02 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:38:55AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
njs> > In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:40:17 -0700, Nathaniel
Smith <address@hidden> said:
njs> >
njs> > njs> Richard, I'd appreciate any feedback or tips you have before
njs> > njs> going forward on this -- you know the OpenSSL folks and I don't,
njs> > njs> and I don't want to step on any toes or accidentally run into
njs> > njs> some history I don't know about :-).
njs> >
njs> > Simply ask if we can grant you permission to use specific files
njs> > from OpenSSL under a different license.  There might be some
njs> > harsh feelings about the GPL, but if you ask for a relaxed
njs> > variant of the OpenSSL license, such as BSD3p or BSD2p :-), I
njs> > don't see a reason not to.
njs>
njs> Right, that's what I figured.
njs>
njs> > I'll certainly vote FOR for such a move, and I don't think it would
njs> > come as a surprise, as I've talked about monotone with the rest of the
njs> > guys already.  In reality, it's up to the authors, not the entire
njs> > OpenSSL group.
njs>
njs> Nod -- that's what the law says, if nothing else :-).  (Unless
njs> you guys actually do copyright assignments, but I'm pretty sure
njs> that's not the case.  Umm... I guess if it is I need to know,
njs> though :-).)

It depends a little from person to person.  I've retained copyright on
the stuff I've written entirely on my own, but some others have
assigned it to the OpenSSL group.  Last time I checked, though, the
author had last say.

Also, it may be tricky for files where EAY or Tim Hudson have a stand
(the files that contain the old SSLeay license), as they have harshly
refused any changes in their files (except for the OpenSSL license
itself).  I forgot that.

Does the wiki page describe exactly what files you want?

njs> > Hmm, maybe I could even drive the question myself.
njs>
njs> Well, you know how eager I am to do everything by myself without
njs> any help, since I have so much empty time I need to fill up
njs> somehow...
njs>
njs> ...but, well, I'll make an exception in this case; feel free if
njs> you want to ;-).

:-)  I'll see what I can do.

njs> > You know, there's another way as well, and it's to have a note
njs> > in the monotone code that gives permission to link the code
njs> > with OpenSSL.  I think it's been described more than once how
njs> > to do this.
njs>
njs> Right -- but then _we're_ GPL-incompatible.  Aside from being a
njs> tremendous hassle (there are 56 names in AUTHORS, and in principle all
njs> would need to relicense their contributions;

I thought you'd say something like that, but I *had* to mention it
(truly, I really had to, there was that monster with a whip looking
over my shoulder, and it looks awfully much like...  me!  :-))

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/