Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: optimized SHA1
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 04:10:07 -0700

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 12:32:36PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:56:02 -0700, Nathaniel
> Smith <address@hidden> said:
> njs> Nod -- that's what the law says, if nothing else :-).  (Unless
> njs> you guys actually do copyright assignments, but I'm pretty sure
> njs> that's not the case.  Umm... I guess if it is I need to know,
> njs> though :-).)
>
> It depends a little from person to person.  I've retained copyright on
> the stuff I've written entirely on my own, but some others have
> assigned it to the OpenSSL group.  Last time I checked, though, the
> author had last say.

Nod.

> Also, it may be tricky for files where EAY or Tim Hudson have a stand
> (the files that contain the old SSLeay license), as they have harshly
> refused any changes in their files (except for the OpenSSL license
> itself).  I forgot that.
>
> Does the wiki page describe exactly what files you want?

Well, I tried to do my homework -- it's possible I made mistakes, of
course.

Of the other SHA1's in that asm/ directory, I can't imagine we care
about ia64 (well, or maybe Eric does, being at HP and all ;-)).  The
ppc core might be interesting, actually; I recalled that the git PPC
sha1 was motivated by it being faster than openssl's, so wasn't
paying too much attention:
  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0504/1622.html
but looking at the history now, the openssl PPC sha1 was actually
written _after_ that.  So I don't know that anyone has actually
compared them or anything!  Not that I have any PPC hardware to try on
anyway.  (I guess Andy might be interested by this fact in any case?)

Since the openssl PPC sha1 is also all Andy's, it's probably not any
harder to get than the others.

> njs> > You know, there's another way as well, and it's to have a note
> njs> > in the monotone code that gives permission to link the code
> njs> > with OpenSSL.  I think it's been described more than once how
> njs> > to do this.
> njs>
> njs> Right -- but then _we're_ GPL-incompatible.  Aside from being a
> njs> tremendous hassle (there are 56 names in AUTHORS, and in principle all
> njs> would need to relicense their contributions;
>
> I thought you'd say something like that, but I *had* to mention it
> (truly, I really had to, there was that monster with a whip looking
> over my shoulder, and it looks awfully much like...  me!  :-))

Maybe he just wanted some coffee -- I know lots of people who look
like that first thing in the morning.

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000