Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:13:00 -0700

On 8/7/06, Koen Kooi <address@hidden> wrote:
Johan Bolmsjö schreef:

> Can't just "mtn add" check that parent directories to a file are versioned and
> if they are not simply add them too?

And 'mtn commit' do the same? Suppose I want to do this:

mkdir foo/bar/ -p
touch foo/file1 foo/bar/file2 foo/bar/file3
mtn add foo/file1 foo/bar/bar/file2 foo/bar/file3
mtn commit foo/bar/file3

right now I can't do that, because commit will complain about the
directories. But if I commit foo/bar, file2 will get committed as well,
which is not what I want. I can work around all this by splitting up the
commands and doing a commit after that, but frankly I don't want to.

This is a good point. Directories are being treated the same way as
files, e.g. you have to specify them when using restrictions in order
to commit them. But if you specify a directory everything inside of it
also gets selected. I'm not saying this shouldn't happen, just that
directories are different than files and that it's a reason *for*
auto-comitting parent directories when comitting a file.

--
Justin Patrin