Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:16:35 +0200

On Sunday 06 August 2006 14:10, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> <snip>
> > Regarding the idea of automatically including dependencies, what do
> > you think about the case:
> >   $ mtn drop bar
> >   $ mtn rename foo bar
> >   $ mtn commit foo
> > Should monotone automatically commit the deletion of "bar"?  It can't
> > commit the rename otherwise.
>
> Well, no.  However, it does seem a bit odd that
>
>    $ mtn add foo/bar.c
>
> and
>
>    $ cd foo; mtn add bar.c
>
> behave differently.  Not *very* odd, but I don't think it would hurt
> to make them act the same.
>
> Another way of thinking about it is that the arguments you give to
> "add" really aren't a restriction in quite the same way as for
> "commit": they're just naming files and directories.
>
> I think that's the case, anyway, so I don't think there's danger of
> confusion if they behave a little differently?

This behaveour must also have changed with monotone 0.26 and the directory
versioning?

I don't have any 0.25 installation any more but it feels that
$ mtn add foo/bar.c
and
$ cd foo; mtn add bar.c

would behave the same prior to 0.26

Can't just "mtn add" check that parent directories to a file are versioned and
if they are not simply add them too?

/Johan