Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:17:09 -0700

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 11:36:41AM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> What is really being committed is a *binding* from a name (a
> project-relative path) to a state (the new content). The current
> behavior is effectively refusing to form the name that must be bound. In
> principle, there exists no sensible formulation of a (name, state) pair
> that omits any portion of the path leading up to the file name.

The name of a file is a (parent directory id, basename string) pair.
Formulating such a name requires that the directory exist, and that
the basename be otherwise unused.  In the general case, the operations
that create such a situation may be arbitrarily complex, e.g.,
requiring arbitrarily long rename chains be included, deletion of
apparently unrelated files (like in the example I gave up-thread),
etc.

That's why we don't do this normally; "when in doubt refuse to guess"
and all that.

I think the question at hand is probably, should there be a special
case exactly for the situation where the dependencies consist only of
directory adds.

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender