Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:53:02 -0500

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 10:45 -0700, Steven Grimm wrote:
[...]
> And I am definitely seeing performance degrade. The first 20 revisions
> took about 6 seconds to get through; now it's up at revision 485 and
> it's taking 2 seconds per commit. While it's sitting there it is chewing
> 100% of one of the machine's CPUs, so it doesn't seem to be I/O bound.
>
> Is this known behavior, or something strange? Should the time taken by
> "commit" be linear with the number of revisions in the branch? Is there
> anything I should be doing periodically to keep things fast? (And if so,
> should that thing be added to tailor?)

  if (heads.size() > old_head_size && old_head_size > 0) {
    P(F("note: this revision creates divergence\n"
        "note: you may (or may not) wish to run '%s merge'")
      % ui.prog_name);
  }

commit calls get_branch_heads() twice in order to provide this message.
That's probably where the linear slowdown is coming from. Probably we
should add an option to skip this, especially for automated uses like
tailor.

Tim
--
Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net