Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:56:52 +0200

On Thursday 31 August 2006 23:03, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:57:30PM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> > This is absolutely unnecessary, because the validity of a cert (not
> > to be confused with the trust in that cert) is a constant. It could
> > be verified once and for all and stored in the database together
> > with the cert.
>
> Well, the original intention of revalidation at every use was to catch
> 'unpredictable' errors, including such things as disk or memory
> corruption.  Those are still worthy goals.

Sure, but there's also a standard sha1 hash for every cert in the database
that can be used for that purpose; no need to start the signature checking
machinery for that.

> That comes with a cost, and the cost is excessive, and we need to do
> something about it, but 'absolutely unnecessary' is too strong.

It will be unnecessary, if the already-there hash is checked.

But even then, I doubt that it is necessary to check for disk or memory
failures that often, but this might be another discussion.

- Thomas

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>