Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically

From: Steven Grimm
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:53:14 -0700

Thomas Moschny wrote:
This is a known problem. The commit command calls get_branch_heads() (at least) two times; and get_branch_heads() execution time is directly dependent on the number of revisions already in that branch. This is not directly a bug of get_branch_heads(), but a problem of erase_bogus_certs() which validates certificates over and over again. This is absolutely unnecessary, because the validity of a cert (not to be confused with the trust in that cert) is a constant. It could be verified once and for all and stored in the database together with the cert.

Simply no one has gotten around implementing that.

Is this something that would be reasonably fixable by someone with no prior Monotone internals experience? I'm willing to have a whack at it but I have never done more than briefly glance at the insides of Monotone before. If this would be a change with far-reaching repercussions on the code's internal data flow, or one that would require lots of little tweaks in various non-obvious places, then I probably shouldn't touch it -- I have a list of other VCSes to evaluate and I can't afford to spend *too* much time getting up to speed enough to fix this.

But I am willing to spend *some* time; with this problem unfixed, Monotone is totally out of the running for our project (the full version of which gets a couple thousand new revisions a month) and I'd like to give it a fair shot since I actually like it a lot for my personal stuff.

-Steve