Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically

From: Steven Grimm
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone performance degrades dramatically
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:02:10 -0700

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
commit calls get_branch_heads() twice in order to provide this message.
That's probably where the linear slowdown is coming from. Probably we
should add an option to skip this, especially for automated uses like
tailor.

Well, tailor performance isn't really the issue, it's just a symptom. I was only running tailor so I could get an idea of Monotone's performance with a repository that had a lot of stuff in it already. A several-minute wait to commit a single-line change is a nonstarter for interactive use too. And actually I think it would be *worse* if tailor were fast and interactive use of the same workspace were slow; if I'd run into that I would have spent time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong that was causing my commits to take so much more time than tailor's.

Given your and Thomas' description of the problem, it sounds like maybe the interim solution is to start a new integration branch every couple hundred revisions or so. That *might* be workable (rename the old branch, spawn a new branch with the old name?) but obviously is not so attractive from the point of view of maintaining a coherent revision history.

-Steve