Re: [Monotone-devel] Error handling via automate

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error handling via automate
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:05:38 +0200

Timothy Brownawell schrieb:
Probably, yes. I don't really think that's the kind of thing gettext is
designed for. (Also, AIUI, using gettext would require that you actually
*install* monotone, so the translation files get put in the right place.
Probably not a nice thing to require for making automate work
correctly.)

I was recently told that one could compile monotone in such a way that you point the `localedir` to something like `pwd`/po if you run make inside the checked out dir and this seems to work nicely.

Better to just have our errors include an error code and not rely on
translation machinery for that.

In the end I'm fine with either way. One has to ensure though that the placing of an error identifier *inside* a translation is never changed e.g. because of grammatical issues, so it should be predefined like

E123: <<locale error message here>>

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de