Re: [Monotone-devel] pretty pretty pictures (for some value of pretty)

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] pretty pretty pictures (for some value of pretty)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:35:41 -0700

Jumping back to the original idea being discussed...I would love to see this as part of the tool.

But does it take away from driving automate to a stable state?  That is, would it make sense to implement this as a command-based wrapper first in order to help button down automate, and then fold it back in to monotone proper as it materializes and stabilizes?

Personally, I don't tend to use external tools (TortoiseXXX, Eclipse, ViewXXX, Trac, whatever..).  But at the same time, I do recognize that the majority of developers in the world rely *exclusively* on such tools.

Thus, from my perspective, adoption of monotone is held up more by instability to the automate interfaces (which in turn holds up development of external tools) than anything else other than core stability (which is quite good AFAICT) including user identity, versioned policy, CVS import, and even performance in most cases.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here or alternatively rekindling discussion that ought not be rekindled....  I'm just speaking as a user/advocate of Monotone.

RS

On 9/14/06, Justin Patrin <address@hidden> wrote:
On 9/14/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:52:38PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> > also, perhaps rather than "log" this output comes from a different
> > command like say "trace" or something.
>
> Why?  Does log have too-standardized a meaning?  Is this not what
> you'd want be default?  Umm... I don't know if it should be log,
> either, but why do you say that?

I think it would make perfect sense to have this in log as well.
Better to get the DAG right out there for people to understand. :-)

--
Justin Patrin