Re: [Monotone-devel] Autobuild scripts for Unix?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Autobuild scripts for Unix?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:14:14 -0700

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:47:39PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> I'm imagining a nice reasonably portable shellscript that can download
> working versions of the various things that monotone requires (or can
> give me a list of URLs of things it wants), can build and install them
> in some temporary directory, and (I guess) automatically build a
> fairly static version of monotone.

What monotone requires at build time is a working C++ toolchain and
basic unix tools, plus boost.  (Plus autofoo if building from a
checkout, but that's already done in distribution tarballs.)

> Wouldn't that be cool?  Does it exist?

INSTALL has a little script embedded in it to build boost -- could
start from that, I guess.

> Specifically we've got a CentOS 4.3 box, and when I last tried
> configure complained about libboost (it has 1.3.0 rather than 1.3.1, I
> think), and probably other things are just slightly out of date.  And
> yum wasn't forthcoming about new versions of libboost, so probably
> they aren't available.

You can probably just use the static binary from the web site here --
not as good as a package, but you're not talking about building a
package anyway :-).

> Similarly, we've got an HP-UX 11.11 PARISC box that it would be nice
> to have monotone on.  No problem with gcc (well, I say that; in fact I
> believe it's a nightmare trying to get that built, but we have to
> anyway, so assume a reasonable version of g++ is available).

I don't know if anyone's worked out how to get monotone on HP-UX
parisc -- shouldn't be any dire problems, but might be a bit of a
hassle.  We'd be happy to take any patches or whatever.  (Psst, if you
contribute a buildbot, then future changes will continue to work on it
out of the box...)

> And for that matter, Solaris binaries would be handy, or are they
> available already?

Patrick Mauritz does solaris builds for us:
    http://venge.net/monotone/downloads.html

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling