[Monotone-devel] Re: Status of nvm.stripped

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Status of nvm.stripped
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:05:30 +0100

Jack Lloyd wrote:
> FreeBSD 7.0 packages PCRE 7.4, which is apparently too old. I
> installed PCRE 7.8 from source. (FreeBSD 7.1 has PCRE 7.7.something so
> this should not be a problem with future releases)

Please notice the FreeBSD Ports system is not branched together with the
OS releases, it's just meant to be compatible with the latest releases.
So, even if you install from a 7.0-RELEACE CD and you've got PCRE 7.4,
when you install monotone from the ports you ideally upgrade also all
the dependencies (right now PCRE in the Ports is 7.8).
(a "/usr/ports/devel/monotone ; make install" won't upgrade dependencies
first, but tools like portmaster or portupgrade are just made for that)

> FreeBSD's make is unhappy with the Makefile:
>
> $ make
> Error expanding embedded variable
>
> (Yes that is really all it tells me, no line number or anything). GNU
> make works fine. I haven't checked if this is specific to nvm.stripped
> or not.

Always been so AFAIR, I think it's expectd… BSD make and GNU make are
simply different and I guess Makefiles made by GNU Automake are targeted
to GNU make (but I didn't study the issue much further than this).

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?” (Robert
A. Heinlein, 1973)