Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of nvm.stripped

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of nvm.stripped
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:42:04 +0100

Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>> Understood - then please merge it in after 0.42 is released.
>
> I absolutely agree with Zack, that merging just *after* a release is the
> way to go. But please do not merge, before further testing on various
> platforms. We can do that before landing it on mainline.
>
> I've set up some virtual machines, which I intend to use as buildbots,
> but didn't get around installing all the required libraries and tools.
>
> Another issue that came up is, that we'd have to test against various
> versions of the dependent libraries. I'm not sure how much coverage we
> can really achieve with reasonable efforts.

The other (lazy) way would be to define a list of external libraries
with which we know the build works (i.e. because we've tested them) and
leave everything else to the downstream packagers. We receive bug
reports and incorporate their fixes for the next release. This just
became a rather small open source project, I don't think people have
ressources to additionally check if monotone builds and behaves correct
with all seven boost versions, three botans, two luas and whatever.
Hell, we don't even have more than half a dozen *working* general
buildbots to test different *platforms* for one and the same code...

Of course you might correct me here and you're free to provide VMs for
automated testing. Richard will happily accept them!

Thomas.