Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of nvm.stripped

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of nvm.stripped
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:27:17 +0100

Thomas Keller wrote:
The other (lazy) way would be to define a list of external libraries
with which we know the build works (i.e. because we've tested them) and
leave everything else to the downstream packagers. We receive bug
reports and incorporate their fixes for the next release. This just
became a rather small open source project, I don't think people have
ressources to additionally check if monotone builds and behaves correct
with all seven boost versions, three botans, two luas and whatever.

Totally agree.

Are we (when combining different versions of the used libraries) to expect subtle bugs that eat peoples databases with no one noticing?

I guess most problems will rather arise at compile time or when running the test suite. And distributions should run the test suite before shipping their builds to the end user. For the Fedora package we surely do that.

So, I'm in favor of merging this branch earlier rather than later, so maybe very soon after releasing 0.42.

- Thomas