Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone man page

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone man page
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:01:15 -0400

Gour <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:17:11 +0200
>
> Thomas> Well, if I can avoid any other tool, then this should be
> Thomas> preferred. After all the solely reason for this work is to
> Thomas> generate a man page, I don't want texinfo, PDF, HTML output or
> Thomas> whatsoever from it. We have a great online manual, that should
> Thomas> be enough.
>
> That's OK, but I suggested pandoc in order to have one-source for
> different outputs, i.e. to have same help text for command reference
> available in man page as in online manual.

In your proposal, how does the command line help text get merged into
the mtn executable?

Given the current state of mtn documentation, the right way to have the
command line help be the same as the texinfo manual is to have 'mtn
manpage' (or another similar command) dump a texinfo fragment for each
command, and have monotone.texi include those fragments at the
appropriate places.

That might be worth it; the texinfo manual tends to leave out arguments
and options.

--
-- Stephe