Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:41:16 -0400

There are two changelog editor messages we have not discussed:

    *** THIS REVISION WILL CREATE A NEW BRANCH ***

    Old Branch: right
    New Branch: left

This is output when the branch used for the commit is not the same as
the parent branch(es) of the workspace. It is misleading in that the
branch may already exist in the workspace. In addition, the new branch
has already been output in the 'Branch:' field above, so it could be
deleted. Thus a more correct message would be:

    *** THIS COMMIT IS ON A DIFFERENT BRANCH ***

    Old Branch: right

Or perhaps it should be left out entirely; the only way to get the
message is to specify the --branch option on the command line, so the
user already knows it is a different branch.

The other message is:

    *** THIS REVISION WILL CREATE DIVERGENCE ***

This is output when new revision will be new head of the commit branch,
typically because there is an update pending. I think it's ok.

--
-- Stephe