Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Francis Russell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:13:08 +0100

Stephen Leake wrote:
> There are two changelog editor messages we have not discussed:
>
>     *** THIS REVISION WILL CREATE A NEW BRANCH ***
>
>     Old Branch: right
>     New Branch: left
>
> This is output when the branch used for the commit is not the same as
> the parent branch(es) of the workspace. It is misleading in that the
> branch may already exist in the workspace. In addition, the new branch
> has already been output in the 'Branch:' field above, so it could be
> deleted. Thus a more correct message would be:
>
>     *** THIS COMMIT IS ON A DIFFERENT BRANCH ***
>
>     Old Branch: right
>
> Or perhaps it should be left out entirely; the only way to get the
> message is to specify the --branch option on the command line, so the
> user already knows it is a different branch.

My personal experience is that it's easy to commit on the same branch
when one intended to commit on a new branch, not vice versa. Being able
to see the branch cert of the commit already helps fix that. Given that
one needs to edit _MTN/options or use --branch to commit on a new
branch, I think the chance of someone accidentally committing on one is
pretty remote.

Francis