Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:39:40 -0600

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Francis Russell <address@hidden> wrote:
Stephen Leake wrote:

> The first draft is now pushed. I think it does everything everyone asked
> for; give it a try.

Hi,

I took a quick look and it's certainly an improvement over the previous
template. Thanks for all the work. These are my comments:

- There's a missing space between "Date:" and the date.

- I think something is seriously wrong if we actually need to tell users
 where to place their commit message. The only person who I can imagine
who would need this message is a complete first-time user who has never
touched any form of version control before. In this case I'm pretty sure
they'd be using the tutorial. I'd consider deleting that line entirely.
Alternatively, the next comment replaces it.

- subversion and mercurial handle aborting commits by checking to see if
the message was empty. Perhaps the "REMOVE" and "Enter a" lines could be
replaced by: "-- Enter a commit message or leave empty to abort --" and
check to see if the white-space trimmed changelog has any characters. I
think that is still superior to that whole line deletion thing as it
requires less effort to abort. Also, it has far fewer capitals :).

One thing to keep in mind is that you can enter text in _MTN/log and it will appear in this section of the template. If you want to abort a commit when you have stuff in _MTN/log you will have to remove the entire message, unless there is something like this line.

Cheers,
Derek