Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:18:47 -0400

Francis Russell <address@hidden> writes:

> - There's a missing space between "Date:" and the date.

Actually, I just added a single space between the label and the value
for all three fields; the values are not aligned. In other locales, the
alignment will be different.

I could compute the alignment; does it matter?

> - I think something is seriously wrong if we actually need to tell users
>  where to place their commit message. The only person who I can imagine
> who would need this message is a complete first-time user who has never
> touched any form of version control before. In this case I'm pretty sure
> they'd be using the tutorial. I'd consider deleting that line entirely.
> Alternatively, the next comment replaces it.

Is it actually a problem to have that message there? Other people
requested it.

> - subversion and mercurial handle aborting commits by checking to see if
> the message was empty.

This does that as well.

> Perhaps the "REMOVE" and "Enter a" lines could be replaced by: "--
> Enter a commit message or leave empty to abort --"

One use case for aborting is you get halfway thru writing comments, and
realize you need to make one more change. You'd like to save the current
comments and resume editing later.

In that case, deleting the "cancel" line would be better. Except that
the current code does not save the comments in that case; I'll see what
I can do about that.

> - I do realise I suggested the original lines. Shortening them a little:
>
> "Certificate values may be modified"

Actually, I don't think "certificate" is a common term for this; I'd
prefer:

-- Fields below may be modified --

> "Modifications below this line are ignored"

Agreed

> Rather more subjective/personal preference comments:
>
> - Just to keep the nice block structure, maybe the newline between the
> "Changes against parent" and "patched" lines could go.

That's produced by standard monotone code; not worth messing with for this.

> - I think it would be nice to have another newline at the top, just to
> separate the changelog section from everything else when the user starts
> typing.

Yes, I intended to have two lines; I'll fix it.

--
-- Stephe