Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:46:02 -0400

Francis Russell <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't mean alignment. In my checkout of
> 1ba188bd3693d7c7f3b23368d14b50c2013a8b4f there actually is a space
> missing between the label and value of the Date field:
>
> Date:11/09/10 01:18:08

Ah. Apparently I forgot to commit before pushing. Fixed now. And I
aligned them.

>>> - I think something is seriously wrong if we actually need to tell users
>>>  where to place their commit message. The only person who I can imagine
>>> who would need this message is a complete first-time user who has never
>>> touched any form of version control before. In this case I'm pretty sure
>>> they'd be using the tutorial. I'd consider deleting that line entirely.
>>> Alternatively, the next comment replaces it.
>>
>> Is it actually a problem to have that message there? Other people
>> requested it.
>
> The "-- Enter a description of this change above --" line? I do find
> that truly bizarre. Of course, nothing "is a problem", just in general I
> believe most people expect to enter their changelog message at the top
> of the template regardless of the version control system. I'd have
> thought that for anyone who's made more than one commit, it's just a
> pain to read through, though that's just me.

I think we need to focus on new users here; experienced users will just
ignore those lines.

>> One use case for aborting is you get halfway thru writing comments, and
>> realize you need to make one more change. You'd like to save the current
>> comments and resume editing later.
>
> I guess I dislike this line just because I've never needed it. Though if
> it's there, I still believe it should mention that altering the line is
> enough to abort the commit. Surely, the smallest amount of work is
> deleting the first asterisk, rather than eradicating the whole line.

I could go either way. I left out the "or modified" so the translators
don't have to fix the translation (the current string was in 0.48).

--
-- Stephe