Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:25:39 -0600

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
There was discussion of whitespace trimming; with this format, only
trailing blank lines need to be trimmed from the commit comment.

Possibly a hook to do user controllable message cleanup might be good, although that may be overkill. The one thing I was hoping to be able to avoid was that any trailing blank lines would appear in the committed message. I use emacs fill-paragraph often enough and wrapping the old MTN: prefixed text into my messages happened on too many occasions.

There was a suggestion that the signing key could be different from the
author; this is possible on the command line, but not in this editor
format.

Isn't the signing key the key that is used to sign the author, date, branch and changelog certs? The Author line is just for setting the textual value of the author cert so it is possible in this format. (i.e. the Author: Date: Branch: and Changelog: lines in this format are equivalent to the --author, --date, --branch and --message options to the commit command)

There was a suggestion to allow editing the changelist section, to
exclude files from commit (similar to the --exclude command line
option). That is complicated; let's leave that for later, or at least in
a separate discussion.

Agreed.

I propose that we adopt this format, with the addition of a 'key: '
line under the 'Author: ' line; any objections?

I'm not sure about adding a key line, unless you intend for it to set the key used to sign all of the other certs as the --key option does now.

I think I would prefer to have the headers actually be headers even if there are fewer of them but it does seem that almost no one else shares this preference so I'm going to have to let it go.

Derek; do you have time to work on this? I can do it if not.

I keep meaning to get to it but never seem to be able to and I don't want to hold things up so if you have time please go ahead.

Cheers,
Derek