Re: [Monotone-devel] New branch name with no other changes

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New branch name with no other changes
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:13:28 +0100

I quite agree with the `support the workflow via lua' approach below. Mtn provides what you need and the interface is currently clean and simple.

One thought I had is that it would be nice to have the ability to specify a site wide/system wide LUA file so that you could set it up in one place and all users would by default pick it up. Rather like Emacs's site.el file. Or can one do that now anyway?

I have had the misfortune to use Git, it has a overly cluttered and some would say confusing interface. BTW you create a branch in git on check in, a bit like mtn ci -b... I don't think it offers the mtn cert pre checkin approach, well not that I could see.

   Tony.

Stephen Leake wrote:
Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

However, as far as I understand, Hendrik really just wants the next
commit to end up in the new branch.  The simplest way to do that is to
edit the branch setting in _MTN/options...  I really think we should
have a 'mtn branch' that does exactly that.  Last time I suggested
that, there were a number of comments arguing the idea on grounds I'm
not sure I've understood...

One objection would be from me; I want a variant of the command that
just adds a branch cert to the current revision, without changing the
workspace, because that's what my workflow requires.
It could be difficult/confusing to have one command that does either of
those things.

Something like 'mtn edit-options branch <newbranch>' would be good; it
could also edit other fields in _MTN/options.

Then people would complain "why do I have to use this weird
'edit-options' thing just to add a new branch", just like now we
complain about using 'cert' just to add a new branch :).

mtn provides the core facilities; users get to implement many different
workflows.

Which is why I wrote a set of user commands to enforce/support my
workflow, rather than pushing for 'mtn branch' that does what I want.

Perhaps it would be useful to put my set of commands in mtn/examples.

How do other DVCs handle this? git, mercury?