Re: [Monotone-devel] New branch name with no other changes

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New branch name with no other changes
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:20:53 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:40:52 -0400, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 09:38:36AM +0100, CooSoft Support wrote:
hendrik> > Nuno Lucas wrote:
[...]
hendrik> > 1) Yes the documentation, which I think is very good btw, needs to
make
hendrik> > the alternate `mtn cert... mtn update' approach to branching much
more
hendrik> > obvious than it is now and why you might want to do it that way as
hendrik> > against the mtn ci -b way.
hendrik>
hendrik> Yes, the documentation is probably an adequate place to solve this
hendrik> problem.  Possibly a note in the section on mtn approve, giving the
hendrik> two-step process.

Hmmm, people also need a way to find it...  maybe a section like
"Tricks and tips"...

hendrik> > 2) Implement a global rc file mechanism, I read the comment about
hendrik> > wrapping it in a script, yup that is a possibility (certainly for
now).
hendrik> > but most tools have the concept of global and user rc files. If this
was
hendrik> > done then interface extensions could more easily/practically be
rolled
hendrik> > out via the extras package.
hendrik>
hendrik> Careful with this.  You can reasonably want such scripting by the
user,
hendrik> ny the project and system managers, by the Linux distribution, and by
hendrik> the monotone developers themselves.

User: covered (~/.monotone/monotonerc)

Project manager: uhmmm, ideas?

System manager: would need something like /etc/monotonerc

Linux distribution: they aren't really different from system managers,
and could easily create a /etc/monotonerc that includes a
/etc/monotonerc.local, which can then be changed by the actual system
manager.  Linux distributions (oh, and I'm sure other Unix flavors do
this as well) do this all the time (Debian is cluttered with such
hacks, in a nice way).

Monotone developers: covered (the built in std_hooks.lua).

So, except for the project manager, all we really need to do is to
support a global monotonerc.

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/