Re: Forwarding email

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Forwarding email
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:45:50 -0400

>Unfortunately, I am back again with the same issue.
>[...]

I went back and looked at your original email about this, which is
here:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2023-04/msg00083.html

The original information you were given still holds true, in that doing
this should work:

forw -mime 42
[...]
What now? mime
What now? send

Now you reported back then it "didn't work" to a Proton Email account.
Drilling down into this, it seems that it made it to Proton but it wasn't
viewable.

Let's talk about what is going on here.  When you run "forw -mime" it's
inserting a mhbuild directive into the reply message.  That's the line
that begins with "#forw ...".  The "mime" command runs mhbuild and you
end up with a message that contains a message/rfc822 part.  If you don't
add anything before or after the "#forw" line, that's ALL the message
contains.

It looks like Proton Mail (I am presuming the web interface) doesn't quite
deal with a message with a single message/rfc822 MIME part properly; it
treats it as an "attachment" and you can't view the content.  Which is
unfortunate.  You could try adding some text before the #forw line (this
is before you run "mime"), and MAYBE that would work.  But if you goal
is to just forward a single message you COULD use dist(1); that will just
pop up a draft where you can just enter the recipient's names and they
will get an exact copy of the message (with the Resent-From and Resent-To
headers from the dist(1) draft).  Generally all web mail clients seem to
do the right thing with those messages (but they don't all display
the Resent-From header so it can be confusing).

--Ken