Re: Request for running compare_plot_demos

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Request for running compare_plot_demos
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 12:46:55 -0800

On 01/15/2019 10:50 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2019 um 13:10 Uhr "Kai Torben Ohlhus" wrote:
>> Anyways, the results look very convincing!  Can we put this on the website
>> after the release maybe? ;-)
>
> Thanks for running these tests.
> You're right: I also think that these are the best results we had so far.
>
> Just a few observations without looking at any of the demo code:
> - Something seems to be off with the camzoom demo and the qt toolkit.
> - The syntax for our copyobj doesn't seem to be Matlab compatible.
> - Either ours or Matlab's plotboxaspectratio seems to be off. E.g. for demo
> ellipsoid.
> - We might be doing something wrong with the z axis scale for zoom...
> - And finally: To be honest, I prefer Matlab's default color scale with the
> additional orange. IMHO, it makes it easier to correlate the colors to a
> value.
>
> But all in all, the results are really impressive!
It does really look good.  Now, in several cases, we actually look better
than Matlab.  I didn't realize that they also had such a hard time with
subplots, colorbars, and large legends placed outside the axes.  I filed a
bug report to keep track of this:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?55481.

There were some interesting differences in light objects which need
inspection.  Here is a partial list of things I found.

demo bar 1 : axes ticks are shown on top of the bars
demo text 1 : rotated text is only valid for 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees.  This
is not the case for the FLTK toolkit which also uses gl2ps
demo polar 1 : The axes lines are semi-transparent in Matlab, as they are
for Octave on a rectangular axes
demo copyobj 1 : Completely fails on Matlab, so we must have the wrong syntax
demo errorbar 2 : Completely different plot.
demo ezplot 3 : Complaint from Matlab about undefined variable 'T'
demo annotation 3 : There are more arrowhead styles available for Matlab.
demo box 3 : The 3-D ticklengths are overly large.  This is a problem with
all 3-D plots.
demo ezplot3 1 : Completely different plot
demo ezplot 1 : Matlab replaces special text, like pi, with '\pi' so that
tex interpreter can produce symbols.
demo fplot 1 : Matlab doesn't automatically add a legend, but I actually
like having one.
demo isonormal 1 : Upper left plot is different from Matlab.
demo stem 1 : Matlab draws axes box for stem plots.  Could turn that on
very easily.
demo light 5 : It looks like the reflections in the right column are in the
opposite direction from Matlab (multiplication by -1 maybe?)
demo light 9 : Matlab's "lit" and "unlit" look the same.
demo line 1 : No Matlab plot so we have incorrect syntax somehow.
demo polar 2 : Matlab plot is completely different.
demo polar 4 : polar axes grid lines are under, rather than over, polar plot.
demo scatter 3 : Matlab fails because the color argument C is somehow
incorrect.

I'll be taking care of bar, polar, and stem today.  I'll take a look at the
size of the ticks as well, but that is going to be in C++.

--Rik