om-synth

[Om-synth] Re: patch repository

From: Loki Davison
Subject: [Om-synth] Re: patch repository
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:26:56 +1000

On 10/20/05, Dave Robillard <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-19-10 at 18:12 +0200, elgrande wrote:
> > Atte André Jensen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > A while back Dave expressed a wish for an online repository for
> > > sharing om patches. Are there any news on this?
> > >

> > wouldn't it be easy like this:
> >
> > Add a cvs module (e.g. om_shared_patches) to the om repository.
> >
> > First let's assume some patches are already in there.
> >
> > Then it works like this:
> > Have a cvs wrapper integrated in om_gtk which works like this:
> > - Check out module shared_patches to a unique location (e.g.
> > /usr/local/share/om_shared_patches)
> > - Add the /usr/local/share/om_shared_patches (and subdirectories, if
> > categorizing is done this way) to patch-loading-path.
> > => The shared patches are available.
> >
> > But were are the patches from?
> > For adding a patch, it could work like this:
> > - Have a upload-patch functionalilty in om.
> > - This lets you select a patch, copies it to your workarea
> > (/usr/local/share/om_shared_patches) and does a cvs add & commit on the
> > file. (Additional funtionality like adding it to a category aka subdir
> > may be there)
>
> This would require every user to have write access to CVS!  Even if that
> were possible, no way in hell is it going to happen :)
>
> Many end-user types don't even have CVS installed anyway.  Thanks for
> the idea though. :)
>
> -DR-

Wouldn't a wiki style system be far superior to this? I'd be happy if
it om_gtk or a script etc couples with the online system to make
download/upload very easy, but really registration and effort free is
what would be nice. Maybe you can have rego if you want  but some
simple encryption that spambots can't break is probably the easiest.
Quick and easy is what we should aim for though. It's a really good
idea that should really get off the ground.

Loki