om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] patch repository

From: elgrande
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] patch repository
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:12:35 +0200

Atte André Jensen wrote:

Hi

A while back Dave expressed a wish for an online repository for sharing om patches. Are there any news on this?

For a new commer a bunch of patches would make om much more accessible. Both for learning and for instant playability. This is something that is missing with most OSS soft synths.

Although I might play with other peoples patces, were they there, the main reason I'm asking is that I'm starting getting more into om now, and I'm generating some patches that I'd like to share...

For me the main features of such a repository are:

1) Up/download possible by script or other automated thingy. I'll probably not use it a lot if I have to log in to a web-site and browse around.

2) Some kind of grouping or ordering besides the obvious name, date and size. Dave already mentioned this...

Would it be an idea to integrate some kind of client to the repository in om_gtk? A friend of mine is one of the mian developers on the open source cms typo3 which has this ability. In this case its modules offering different addon functionality, but the idea is the same: instant access to a common pool of information. Just a thought, not even sure what I think of it myself :-)

BTW: For now I updated my om patch tarball (http://www.atte.dk/om/attes_om_patches.tgz) with a couple of new patches, so...

Hi,

wouldn't it be easy like this:

Add a cvs module (e.g. om_shared_patches) to the om repository.

First let's assume some patches are already in there.

Then it works like this:
Have a cvs wrapper integrated in om_gtk which works like this:
- Check out module shared_patches to a unique location (e.g. /usr/local/share/om_shared_patches) - Add the /usr/local/share/om_shared_patches (and subdirectories, if categorizing is done this way) to patch-loading-path.
=> The shared patches are available.

But were are the patches from?
For adding a patch, it could work like this:
- Have a upload-patch functionalilty in om.
- This lets you select a patch, copies it to your workarea (/usr/local/share/om_shared_patches) and does a cvs add & commit on the file. (Additional funtionality like adding it to a category aka subdir may be there)

More additional funtionality might be integrated into om_gtk:
- check out an exisiting patch for editing
- commit it

If you like the idea, I could help and write some wrapper scripts, if this is needed.

Greeeeeeez, Tino