om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] om and lash memory usage

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] om and lash memory usage
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:01:59 +1000

On Tue, 2005-25-10 at 12:46 +0200, Antonio wrote:
> 2005/10/25, Dave Robillard <address@hidden>:
> [cut]
> > > Om has memory usage issues I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
> >
> > Got to the bottom of them. :)
> >
> > Turns out it's the fault of mlockall().  Om in CVS now consumes 2.5MB on
> > startup instead of 38MB as before (!!).
>
> Wonderful! I'm going to compile the CVS ;-).
>
> > Then you start the Gtk client, which launched the jack driver, which
> > calls mlockall() and bring all the useless garbage back into memory :(.
> > I sent a mail to the Jack list about this problem, I don't think this is
> > acceptable behaviour whatsoever.  I'm on a 512MB system and I can just
> > barely squeeze everything into RAM I need for a session as well.
>
> Don't know if it matters, but in my report I've used the "Unlock
> Memory" switch in qjackctl to unlock the memory used by the graphical
> toolkits.

Won't make a difference in Om's case, since om_gtk isn't even a Jack
client (it doesn't do anything with audio at all, actually).

On my machine, Om used to consume 56MB after starting om_gtk (which
launches the drivers and loads plugins etc), now it's down to 23MB.  Not
as good as I would like, but a pretty good step in the right direction
anyway.

-DR-