om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] patchage & libjack

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] patchage & libjack
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:02:15 +1000

On Tue, 2005-25-10 at 13:06 +0000, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 02:06, Dave Robillard wrote:

> > > Don't worry. I've only just found out the syntax for installing stuff
> > > where you want it to be installed. ./configure --prefix=/usr  should get
> > > configure to put it in /usr/lib , rather than letting the default
> > > ./configure put it in /usr/local . Nigel. (still being assymilated) and
> > > I've probably spelt that wrong.
> >
> > If you run a distro with a package system (ie basically every
> > distribution in existance except possibly Slackware) DO NOT DO THIS
> > unless you really, really, REALLY, know exactly what you're doing.
> > You'll break your packaging system and hose your system.
> >
> > /usr/local exists for a reason
> >
> > -DR-
>
> Hi Dave. The only reason I mentioned using /usr rather than /usr/local , was
> because of continual problems I'm having with liblo-0.22, which I installed
> in /usr/local. (installed version on FC2 & FC3 is only liblo-0.18). I'm not
> very up to speed on compiling stuff, but would have thought that pkg-config
> would have looked for it's .pc files in /usrlib/pkgconfig, and
> also /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. This is obviously not so, as ./configure
> stops, complaining that pkg-config can only find liblo-0.18 (the one
> in /usr/lib/pkgconfig) . I don't expect you to troubleshoot this. You've
> obviously enough to do. I'll press on, and try and learn a bit more about
> compiling from source tarballs. Nigel.

You need to set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable (the configure
output says this when you don't have the library at all, but I'm not
sure about having too old a version).

Anyway, you're installing multiple parallel versions of the same library
on your system!  Yes it finds the one in /usr, like it should: that's
the first one in the path.

If you want to build something against your "custom" installed version
of liblo, you can set the LOSC_CFLAGS and LOSC_LIBS environment
variables to point them at whatever version you want (like the output of
configure --help should say)

-DR-