om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: patchage & libjack

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: patchage & libjack
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:26:35 +1000

On Wed, 2005-26-10 at 17:47 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:

> > > Don't worry. I've only just found out the syntax for installing stuff
> > where
> > > you want it to be installed. ./configure --prefix=/usr  should get
> > configure
> > > to put it in /usr/lib , rather than letting the default ./configure put it
> >
> > > in /usr/local . Nigel. (still being assymilated) and I've probably spelt
> > that
> > > wrong.
> >
> > If you run a distro with a package system (ie basically every
> > distribution in existance except possibly Slackware) DO NOT DO THIS
> > unless you really, really, REALLY, know exactly what you're doing.
> > You'll break your packaging system and hose your system.
> >
> > /usr/local exists for a reason
> >
> > -DR-
> >

> Though as a counter point, i've always installed everything in /usr
> not /usr/local and hate the /usr/local thing, and i've never hosed by
> system, and dave puts stuff in /usr/local and debian hosed his system
> ;-)

Alright then smartass, next time some poor noobian bastard comes on IRC
with two different version of GTK or whatever installed in the same
place, and can't uninstall it with his package manager because he's shit
all over his filesystem, I'm volunteering you to help out. :P

(Seriously though, worst advice to be giving, ever)

Debian has never hosed my system, BTW.  I don't even remember when the
initial install of this machine was...

-DR-